- Online user guide
- What's new
- Watch video tutorials (recorded with old SMB)
- Translate Sao Mai Braille
Sao Mai Braille (SMB) is a free rich-text editor and Braille translation software for Windows, developed by Sao Mai Center for the Blind. SMB is created with the goal of providing a unified solution in the Braille conversion process for text, images, mathematics, and music. We hope that this additional tool will assist both blind users and transcribers in producing Braille materials more quickly, effectively, and at a lower cost.
- Rich-text editor for both print and Braille.
- 6-key input method.
- Translate text into Braille with approximately 150 different language translation tables using LibLouis library.
- Work with popular file types such as Microsoft Word, TXT, RTF and HTML. Open and save Braille documents with the rich-text .SMB extension, Portable Embosser File (.PEF), Braille-Ready File (.BRF), unformatted Braille (.BRL), and Spanish Braille (.BRA).
- Translate document written in multiple languages by selecting relevant Braille translation tables.
- Mathematics support: view/edit math equations, import/export LaTeX and MathML, speak and convert equations to Braille, and read in navigation mode. The MathCAT library is used to provide speech and Braille.
- Fully support the process of drawing, editing and converting images into tactile graphics.
- Translate music score into high-quality Braille result (currently supporting the MusicXML standard). SMB software uses our own SM-BungSang engine, which supports many unique features and custom transcription options. With its Score Info dialogue, transcribers can perform basic score editing to obtain a high-quality Braille output.
- Easily add new highly customizable styles and apply flexible Braille formatting. The software also includes frequently used styles.
- Automate the creation of Braille table of contents with many customizable options.
- Various Braille data table types with customizable options for each.
- "Split Document" tool to manage book volumes.
- Support for different Braille output encodings and a tool to convert between Braille Ascii and Unicode.
- The software’s user interface is available in 36 languages and is designed to work friendly with screen readers like Jaws and NVDA.
Download latest version 24.2.7
Released date: Feb 7th, 2024. Fill out the form below to download. Your browser should download the setup file. Additionally, an email with a direct link to download is also sent to your provided email address. If you cannot download, please contact us.