We created one simple tool named SM Translator, to help easily translate and manage localization files. Download the SM Translator tool and language localization files for Sao Mai Typing Tutor here.
Unzip the file to your local drive, you will find following files:
- SMTranslator.exe: the translation management tool.
- SMTT.eng: English source translation file (for main typing tutor window).
- SMLB.eng: English source translation file for Lesson Builder tool.
- SMUM.eng: English source translation file for User Management tool.
To translate new user interface language for Sao Mai Typing Tutor (SMTT) program, please follow steps below:
- Run SMTranslator.exe.
- Choose New button, browse for English source translation file (SMTT.eng).
- Give it a name and 3-letter file extension for your language. For instance: English name is “Vietnamese” and 3-letter file extension are “vie”. Then, choose Ok.
- The focus will be back to main SMTranslator window. Move to the list of translation strings, where it shows each string in 4 category columns (numbered order, source string (English), destination string (Vietnamese) and text ID (the variable of that string).
There are other 4 associated edit controls (Number, English, Your language and Text ID), where you can quickly search for specific string.
- Use arrow keys to choose a string. Next tab shows its full English source string. And the next edit tab will let you input the translation.
Press F2 every time completing each string translation; or, Esc to cancel the edit.
- Choose Save button when you are done with translation. It will create one “SMTT.vie” in the same folder of the SMTranslator.exe tool.
- Continue from step 2-6 to add new translation for Lesson Builder and User Management tools.
After saving for the first time, SMTranslator will automatically generate the associated file for your language in the same folder such as “SMTT.vie”, “SMLB.vie” and “SMUM.vie”. Please share these completed translation files to us via email at: email@example.com.
To test your translation language file with SMTT:
- Copy completed translation language files.
- Open Run dialogue (Windows+r), type in: "%appdata%\SaoMai\SMTT\Lang" (without quotation marks). Then, paste the files.
- Open Sao Mai Typing Tutor, open Config dialogue (F5) and choose your translation language.
Some important notes:
- Special character “&” is used to define hotkeys in combination with “Alt” key for that feature. So, you can remove it or move it right before the character in your translation language that you want to make it become the hotkey.
- Text with % sign like “%s” should be kept intact. However, you can move it to other suitable position of the sentence in your language.
- Text in left/right brackets should be kept intact.